All building methods and materials used for the construction of National & Overseas Timber Houses meet the requirements included in SABS 082: User code for timber houses.
- Concrete floors: 220-mm brick walls on concrete foundation beneath outer walls. Suitable for relatively level stand.
- Columns: Reinforced fibre-concrete props on concrete bases or treated wooden props on concrete bases.
- Concrete floors: 100-mm thick concrete on compacted fill.
- Timber floors: 22-mm SA pine tongue and groove floor boards on 38 x 228-mm floor joists on 102 x 231-mm bearer beams.
- SA pine framework cladded on the outside with pine weather boards or “Handiplank” or “Halflog” using electroplated nails and including a waterproof insulating membrane between the framework and the external cladding.
- 38 x 76-mm SA pine framework cladded with 12.7-mm Rhino board. All joints and screw heads are taped and plastered smooth.
- Inside the house: 6.5-mm Rhino board screwed to 38 x 38-mm brandering fixed to roof trusses. H-sections used between Rhino board joints and Rhino board cornices form the finish between ceiling and walls.
- Outside: 6.4-mm Rhino board used for ceilings of open verandahs and eaves (if so indicated).
- 50-mm glass fibre wool is laid over brandering to ensure insulation.
- Pre-manufactured roof trusses made of 38 x 114-mm SA pine with 75 x 50-mm roof battens. Roof covering will consist of Coverland roof tiles (unless otherwise specified). Birdproofing is fixed to undersides of roof.
- Half-round gutters with down pipes. The roof area determines the size of the gutters.
- Fully glazed windows made of Meranti hardwood. Non-transparent glass is used for bathrooms and toilets. All other windows are glazed with clear glass.
- Prefabricated “Red Oak Supawood” veneer pelmets with curtain tracks are supplied.
- Front Door: Solid six panel Meranti wooden front door.
- Back Door: BC133 – semi-solid as approved by the SABS 0157 – part 2.
- Inner Doors: Flush panel inner doors with chromium-plated mortise locks.
- All exposed timber floors are sanded down and treated. SA Pine skirting boards are fitted.
- Interior paint work: One priming coat and one high-quality surface coat in one colour. All interior exposed timber surfaces receive a durablewood treatment.
- Ceilings: Two coats of white PVA
- Kitchen, bathrooms and toilets: Matt enamel.
- Exterior paint work :Two coats of Vadek Wood Preservative or Dura 65 – Mahogany or a similar product is applied to all exterior woodwork.
BUILT IN CUPBOARDS
- Bedroom cupboards: Made of selected “Red Oak Supawood” veneer board, fully equipped with locks and handles.
- Kitchen cupboards: Floor and wall units, fully equipped with handles.
- An SABS-approved wiring harness is used, including the following:
- Distribution board with the required contact-breakers and earth leakage.
- Light and plug points
- Switch points
- Stove connection point
- Geyser connection point
- The connection of all switches, lampshades, wall-plugs, geyser and other electrical appliances; the supply of electrical cables from any connecting point to the distribution board, as well as all lampshades and the connection of the power supply, is the responsibility of a qualified electrician.
- A septic tank made of glass-fibre reinforced cement, fully equipped with fittings, bends and pipes.
- Suction wells where necessary.
- Gullies at central sewerage systems.
- Damp course is supplied where necessary.
- Bathroom fittings: 1 x 1,800-m white bath with handles built-in, 1 x 560 x 406-mm white porcelain hand-wash basin on pedestal, 1x white low-level toilet set, Electric geyser, Towel railing, soap-dish and toilet-paper container.
- Kitchen fittings: Stainless steel sink on wooden cupboard as well as copper pipes and taps are supplied.
- All bathroom walls can be tiled up to a height of 1,350-m using tiles of your choice from a wide range of colours. Two rows of tiles are affixed above the kitchen sink or alternatively only two rows above hand-wash basin and sink.
- Outside sewerage and water connection
- Transport expenses
- Lampshades, underground electric cables and connection
- Foundation material
- Travelling and accommodation expenses of the builder.